Welcome!

I have been researching my family tree since my paternal grandfather died in 1976. Whilst researching my mother's ancestry I started recording every instance of her maternal grandmother's name FARMERY and so my one-name study was born! I now record every instance of the name I find all over the world, and my database currently contains over 51,600 name events. I am constructing family trees for each family group and try to put distant cousins in touch!

My study covers the FARMERY surname and known variants such as FARMEARY, FARMEREY, FARMARY and FARMERIE, as well as instances of the name being used as a forename rather than surname.


Thursday 29 January 2009

Farmery of Northorpe

My oldest documented ancestor is probably Christopher son of Willyam and Jane Farmerie, baptised at Alkborough 22.4.1670. He married Ann Thomas at Burton upon Stather 29.6.1693 and it was their son Robert who was buried at Walesby in 1782.

Back in the middle of 2008 I spent a research weekend in Leeds with Malcolm and Veronica Farmery, looking specifically at the Northorpe Farmery family who were notable there in the 16th and 17th centuries. They are recorded in the Heralds Visitation but rather than take the printed tree as the starting point we instead reconstructed the families using their wills (proved at Lincoln Consistory Court, at Stow and at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury). Comparing these families to the printed tree in the visitation showed a couple of significant errors.

John Farmery of Northorpe (PCC will 1551) had children Robert, Margaret (wife of Edmund Yarburgh), John (clerk of Blyborough?) and William (born 1520?).

William Farmery of Northorpe (LCC will 1557) married Margaret Peake and had children William, John, George, Anthony, Robert, Elizabeth, Anne and Alice.

John Farmery (yeoman PCC will 1598) married Isabella and had children Ellen, Margaret, Jane, Christopher (named as his eldest son) and John.

Christopher Farmery married Barbara Bedford 11.10.1608 at Potterhanworth and was buried 19.12.1659 at Northorpe. They had children Amos (1609), Anne (1611), John (1614), Jane (1616), George (1618), Ellen, William, Christopher (1625) and Anne (1628/9); there are no baptisms at Northorpe for Ellen or William (who also does not appear on the tree in the visitation). The will of Christopher Farmery gentleman of Northorpe (Stow 1660) names "George my eldest son, Willyam my second son and Christopher my youngest son", suggesting that sons Amos and John were dead by 1654 (when the will was written) and that son William was born between 1618 and 1625. In 1661 William Farmery of Northorpe, and his brothers, released all their rights to the goods and chattels of their father in favour of their sisters Jane and Ann.

Could William (born 1618-1625) son of Christopher be the same William who baptised a son Christopher at Alkborough in 1670? The name Christopher does seem unique to this particular family and although William would have been an older father (aged between 45 and 52) in 1670 he could have had other children elsewhere prior to this date.

So can I trace my own Farmery line back to a death at Northorpe in 1551 and therefore a birth in the late 1400's?

No comments: