Welcome!

I have been researching my family tree since my paternal grandfather died in 1976. Whilst researching my mother's ancestry I started recording every instance of her maternal grandmother's name FARMERY and so my one-name study was born! I now record every instance of the name I find all over the world, and my database currently contains over 51,600 name events. I am constructing family trees for each family group and try to put distant cousins in touch!

My study covers the FARMERY surname and known variants such as FARMEARY, FARMEREY, FARMARY and FARMERIE, as well as instances of the name being used as a forename rather than surname.


Monday 7 December 2009

Sqd Ldr Clifford John Farmery, DFM

Sgt C J Farmery RAFVR was awarded the Distingushed Flying Medal in December 1941. His medal, along with 3 others awarded to him, featured on BBC "Flog It" on December 3rd 2009 and was subsequently sold by Adam Partridge Auctioneers of Congleton for £2,300.00.

Clifford John Farmery was born Clifford John German and was "adopted" by Augustus Harold Farmery and his wife Mary Annie (Tatler).
CJF was later promoted to Squadron Leader but was killed in the war January 21st 1944 and buried in Berlin War Cemetery, Brandenburg. Letters of Administration were granted to his "natural and lawful father" John Charles German of Crewe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can I just ask a question I've just watched the re-run of the 2009 programme when the subject medal was sold. Were you ever provided with the opportunity to either be given it or buy it from the individual concerned? If not I would be seething.