Welcome!

I have been researching my family tree since my paternal grandfather died in 1976. Whilst researching my mother's ancestry I started recording every instance of her maternal grandmother's name FARMERY and so my one-name study was born! I now record every instance of the name I find all over the world, and my database currently contains over 51,600 name events. I am constructing family trees for each family group and try to put distant cousins in touch!

My study covers the FARMERY surname and known variants such as FARMEARY, FARMEREY, FARMARY and FARMERIE, as well as instances of the name being used as a forename rather than surname.


Friday 8 October 2010

Jack Farmery, York City Goalkeeper 1929

York City played their first ever game in the Football League on August 31st 1929, winning 2-0 away to Wigan Borough - York's team on that illustrious occasion included Farmery.

The first home game was a goalless draw against Wrexham on September 4th 1929.

York progressed well in the FA Cup which brought them a third round visit to First Division giants Newcastle United, the match ending in a 1-1 draw. Goalkeeper Jack Farmery and centre-half Charlie Davis were especially magnificent.

In the replay Hughie Gallacher headed a trademark equaliser on 36 minutes before being handed an opportunity to give his team the lead after being fouled by Charlie Davis during the second-half. However the Scottish international saw his penalty blocked by the redoubtable Farmery and then struck the rebound wide.

Talking York 1929-1939

Does anyone know who Jack Farmery was or how long he played for York?





No comments: